Well, we're off to the the Ukraine. We'll be leaving Sunday, April 15, 2007. We don't know when we'll be back, hopefully within 4- 5 weeks. The two girls we are expecting to adopt should be with us. Their names are Inna and Alina they are 15 years old and are twin sisters. Basically I'm just trying out this blog site to see if I can post stuff to it. If this works I'll be posting periodically to this site while we're in Ukraine.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Well I still can't get the new camera to work with the computer. In case you haven't heard our camera was stolen after I left it at the inter-net cafe. Also, our normal Internet cafe is non-operational today, they said maybe tomorrow. This one is about a 15 minutes walk away and nearly twice a expensive, still only $1 for one hour, but it is better ventilated. Also, I can't get our home email to come up from here. Anyway I can't get the camera and the computer of communicate. so I won't be updating any photos today.

We're still doing well, making progress in the bureaurcacy and relationships with the twins in small steps. Inna pretty much lives with us at our apartment, while Alina still likes to sleep at the internat, I think because she can stay out later.

We went downdown yesterday looking for shoes for Inna, she has a very specific type and style in mind. After going to the market area and looking through maybe 2 dozen stores we still were not able to find what she wanted. We also drove through a market area for animals. Dogs, cats, rabbits, chicken, turkeys. There were literally hundreds of kitten in large cages for sale, and at least 100 dogs and or puppies. It was kind of like a fleamarket for animals.

Katrina did find some soveniers to buy, so we're not coming home empty handed. Katrina, however, took a pretty hard fall yesterday, bruised her hand, shoulder, and knee, and sprained her ankle pretty badly, so she's going to stay off of it for a couple of days. Nothing broken, no aputations in the works, just tweaked it pretty good.

Donna called yesterday for Mother's day, and it really made Katrina homesick. She was pretty weepy, and kept saying she just missed Donna and wished she could have talked to her for longer. Which brings up something I heard about. You can purchase on line phone cards at Noblecom.com on which you can call the Ukraine for about 9 cents per minute. Katrina would love a phone call, she's getting pretty lonesome without her phone buddies. If you kids try this, I'll pay for it!

I'm going to try and access the email one more time before I leave, so I'm logging off, bye for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Richardsons. I'm a once-friend of Katrina's who stumbled on your blog today. It looks like you were speaking to a private audience, so I'll just say how very
impressed I am by your bold and generous action in creating new opportunities for these Ukranian sisters. At a time of life when most people are starting to sit back a little, you brave people take on as challenging an adventure as I can imagine.
Good for you, and good luck! It will not be easy, and it will be worth it.
... Mike Alexander, Palo Alto.

janetttt said...

Our help is essential not only for kids living in poorly developed countries of Africa. Unfortunately, there are orphans in Europe, who live on the verge of survival. Personally, I help orphans living in Ukraine. Here is the link https://hopenowusa.org if you are also interested.